The blooming onion is a delightful treat available at most large steakhouse chains and many pubs. Tim Gannon, one of the founders of the Outback Steakhouse chain, previously worked at a restaurant in New Orleans called Russel’s Marina Grill, and he brought this delight with him to the Outback menu.
And thank goodness he did.
It has since taken off, and while it might go by other names in other steakhouses, we all know a bloomin’ onion when we see one.
Now, if you have leftovers of this rather large appetizer, you are likely looking for ways to reheat it to perfection.
Table Of Contents - Click To Expand Or Hide -->
Can You Reheat Blooming Onion?
Yes. A bloomin’ onion can absolutely be reheated.
The trick is to use the right approach with the right appliance.
The blooming onion is deep fried in breading or batter, so it arrives at your table like the perfect onion ring, only better!
The truth is, you can reheat any food that has been refrigerated or frozen.
Now, most foods that have been deep fried or breaded, or both, are often best reheated in the oven or in the air fryer. Meanwhile, items that have been baked or grilled are often best reheated back in the oven or on the grill.
For the blooming onion, we will probably be best off reheating it in an air fryer, but let’s walk through each appliance to fully explore all our options.
Should You Reheat Blooming Onion?
But first, let’s talk about whether this undertaking is even something we should be engaging in.
After all, we always want to cover the food safety and foodborne illness bases.
Typically, we want to be sure to heat the leftovers to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure all potential toxins have been eliminated.
But with the blooming onion, we are not dealing with dairy, meat, or any other food that might cause problems. It’s an onion, battered and fried.
Still, you should always do your own research to be sure you are as safe as possible. To get you started on that research, check out this article on reheating leftovers by Healthline.
How to Reheat a Blooming Onion in the Oven
Preheating a blooming onion in the oven is a great option for reheating as it will heat it through and keep it crispy on the outside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the onion on a greased baking sheet and heat for 10 minutes.
- Then, turn the oven to broil for 2-3 minutes to crisp up the top.
- Serve with your favorite sauce and enjoy!
How to Reheat a Blooming Onion in the Microwave
Reheating a bloomin’ onion in the microwave is not going to be your finest moment by far, but it will heat it up. That’s for sure.
- Place your onion on a microwave-safe plate and cover it with a microwave-safe cover that has a vent. Otherwise, just leave it uncovered.
- Heat the onion in the microwave on full power for 30-45 seconds at a time until it is heated through.
- Serve with your favorite sauces and enjoy!
How to Reheat a Blooming Onion in an Air Fryer
There is no denying that reheating the bloomin’ onion in an air fryer is the way to go.
- Heat your air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and place the onion in individual layers in the air fryer basket.
- Heat for 7-10 minutes and check to be sure it is crispy enough for your liking.
- Serve with your favorite sauces and enjoy!
How to Reheat Blooming Onion on a Grill
While I usually would not recommend reheating leftovers on a grill if you’re not already working on the grill, reheating the bloomin’ onion on a grill can actually be a winning approach.
- Preheat your grill to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wrap your onion tightly in aluminum foil.
- Place the onion on the grill over indirect heat and close the lid.
- Heat for 7-10 minutes and check the onion to be sure it is heated through.
- Serve with your best sauces and enjoy!
How to Reheat a Blooming Onion in a Toaster Oven
If you’ve got a toaster oven, you can totally use it to reheat your bloomin’ onion.
- Preheat your toaster oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place your onion on a greased baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the toaster oven and heat for 5-7 minutes then check to be sure the onion is heated through.
- Serve with your best sauces and enjoy.
How to Reheat Blooming Onion in a Pan on the Stove
This is another appliance that might seem odd to reheat a bloomin’ onion on, but the truth is the stove can be an excellent method for getting your onion nice and crispy and heated through.
You don’t even have to use oil! The oil already in the deep-fried onion will serve as all the oil necessary to get the job done right.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat on the stove.
- Add your onion pieces in a single layer in the pan, with no oil.
- Toss the onion pieces around, taking care not to remove the breading in the process.
- This entire process will probably take around 5-10 minutes.
- Once your onion is up to the crispy, fully heated level you want it, go ahead and put it on a plate!
- Serve with delicious sauces and enjoy!
Winner! – The Best Way to Reheat Blooming Onion Is Using the Air Fryer
This one is actually a tough decision. The oven does a great job, and the stovetop does a pretty good job as well. But in the end, the air fryer wins without a doubt. It is just so easy and efficient, and it provides a perfect bloomin’ onion just like the first time you ate it.
What do you think? Do you have any favorite tips and tricks for reheating a bloomin’ onion? Let me know in the comments. I love to hear from my readers.