Rice is one of the best side dishes to enjoy with pretty much any main dish. You can even eat it by itself.
It is difficult enough to get rice right the first time, so it can also be difficult to reheat it, especially once it’s been frozen. You don’t want it to end up mushy or, on the other end of the spectrum, crispy.
So how do you reheat frozen rice? It’s all about using the right appliance and the right approach.
Table Of Contents - Click To Expand Or Hide -->
Can You Reheat Frozen Rice?
Yes. Of course, you can reheat frozen rice.
Come on. You can reheat pretty much any food that has been frozen or refrigerated. It’s all a matter of the method.
For example, foods that have been fried or breaded should typically be reheated in an air fryer or in the oven. Foods that have been grilled or baked are usually better when reheated back on the grill or in the oven.
With rice, we are probably going to be best off with the microwave. I know. It sounds crazy, but the microwave is quick, efficient and will lock in the moist heat necessary for rice.
Should You Reheat Frozen Rice?
But wait! Is it safe to reheat frozen rice?
Unlike with meat or dairy, or any food that might contain either one, you don’t have to worry about foodborne illnesses or safe handling practices when it comes to rice.
Sure, your rice might have mold on it for some strange reason, or some other kind of toxin if it was cooked in a meat broth, but chances are good that you’re just reheating plain old frozen rice cooked in water and salt.
Still, you should always do your own research when reheating food.
To get you started on that research, you can check out this article on reheating leftovers by Healthline.
How to Reheat Frozen Rice in the Oven
Reheating frozen rice in the oven can be a great approach to getting this side dish back in tip-top shape and on your plate.
It will warm the rice all the way through, and if you reheat it properly, it should not crisp up or dry out.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread your frozen rice in a baking dish and cover it with aluminum foil.
- Bake the rice for about 40 minutes. Mix the rice around with a fork to be sure it is heated through.
- If necessary, heat the rice for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Reheat Frozen Rice in the Microwave
Quick, easy, and efficient, reheating frozen rice in the microwave is a wonderful way to get the job done.
- Place the frozen rice in a microwave-safe dish and cover it with a microwave-safe lid.
- Heat your rice on high heat for 3 minutes. Fluff it with a fork then heat again for another minute or two.
- Check the rice to be sure it is heated through then serve and enjoy!
How to Reheat Frozen Rice in an Air Fryer
Okay, reheating frozen rice in an air fryer is an impossible task.
There is just no way to get the rice not to fall through the holes of your air fryer basket.
Of course, you can create rice balls that will not fall through those holes, but that is another post for another day.
If you have an air fryer pan, you can heat the frozen rice there by placing the frozen rice in the pan and heating for 6 minutes at 320 degrees. The results will be a bit crispy, just like you will get in a skillet on the stove.
It’s worth a try!
How to Reheat Frozen Rice on a Grill
The grill can actually be an excellent approach to reheating frozen rice.
Sure, you’re not going to fire up the grill just to reheat frozen rice, but if you’ve already got it going, you can totally use it.
- Place the frozen rice in a stainless-steel pot with a bit of water sprinkled over the top.
- Heat the grill to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and place the pot over indirect heat.
- Allow the rice to cook on the grill for about 30 minutes.
- Check the rice to be sure it is heated through. Fluff it with a fork and return it to the grill for another 10 minutes if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Reheat Frozen Rice in a Toaster Oven
If you’ve got a toaster oven you’re itching to use, you can absolutely use it to reheat frozen rice.
- Preheat the toaster oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit and place your rice in a baking dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Put the baking dish in the toaster oven and heat for 40 minutes
- Fluff with a fork, serve, and enjoy!
How to Reheat Frozen Rice in a Pan on the Stove
The stove is a great way to reheat your frozen rice. After all, that is usually where it starts.
- Heat a stainless-steel pot over medium heat on the stove. Add a bit of water then add the frozen rice.
- Sprinkle a bit of water over the top of the rice and place a lid on the pot.
- Turn the heat down to low and heat for about 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and return to heat if necessary for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Winner! – The Best Way to Reheat Frozen Rice Is Using the Microwave
For reheating rice, it really does have to be the microwave, right? It only takes 3 minutes to get your frozen rice back in shape. Unlike with most foods, the microwave will not dry your rice out or turn it into mush as long as you don’t cook it for too long.
What do you think? Do you have a favorite approach to reheating frozen rice? Let me know in the comments. I love to hear from my readers.